Impact and Facts
Horizons has helped me gain confidence and motivation in moving on with my life
- James, Age 19
There are many contributing factors that can cause a young person to be homeless and in need of our services, many of which are uncontrollable life circumstances such as:
- Abuse (physical, sexual, emotional) and/or neglect
- Loss of Parent or Caregiver
- Mental Health Issues
- Substance Use Issues
- Domestic Violence
- Job Loss
- Discharge from another institution i.e. hospital or correctional facility
- Parent-teen conflict
Under our Roof:
- 60% of youth we serve are male.
- The average age of a Horizons for Youth resident is 19.
- Approximately two thirds of the young girls we serve are under 18.
- The average level of completed education is Grade 10.
- Youth stay at our shelter anywhere from one night to three months.
- It is not uncommon for youth entering our shelter to have an undiagnosed or untreated mental health issue.
- 86 cents of every dollar donated directly benefits Horizons youth.
- Since opening in 1994 Horizons for Youth has sheltered over 17,600 youth.
- It costs approximately $97.00 every day to keep one youth off the street.
- Horizons for Youth offers 24 hour intake, 7 days a week for 35 homeless and at-risk youth aged 16-24.
- Horizons for Youth provides food, shelter and programs for over 1,100 youth annually.
- Horizons for Youth serves over 40,000 meals annually.
- Horizons gives out approximately 10,000 TTC tokens every year.